Monday, August 17

Trump Says US Will Reduce Military Exercises with South Korea

Trump Says US Will Reduce Military Exercises with South Korea

WASHINGTON, 17 August, 2026(News Desk) — U.S. President Donald Trump has announced that the United States will reduce military exercises conducted with its key regional ally South Korea, citing his positive relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington regarding Iran.Trump said he was unhappy that the United States had previously agreed to participate in joint military exercises with South Korea, arguing that the drills were costly and could send what he described as an inappropriate and hostile signal to North Korea.In a post on Truth Social, Trump also said he had recently asked South Korean President Lee Jae Myung whether South Korea wanted to join the United States in the “denuclearization” of Iran, but received a negative response.

Trump has maintained a relatively warm relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un despite North Korea being a longstanding U.S. adversary. Earlier this weekend, Trump shared a photograph of himself with Kim and said the two leaders “get along GREAT.” The joint military exercises with South Korea, known as Ulchi Freedom Shield, were scheduled to begin on August 17 and continue for 10 days.North Korea has repeatedly criticized joint military exercises involving the United States and South Korea, describing them as preparations for aggression.The announcement comes amid heightened regional security concerns and ongoing U.S. efforts to address Iran’s nuclear program.